Five Reasons to Visit Daylesford
When it comes to a country getaway, Melbournites just can’t get any better than a weekend at Daylesford. Not only is it within 90minutes drive of the city, its also a perfect location to relax and explore. Here are just 5 Reasons you should visit!
- Daylesford Markets – Every Sunday, Daylesford does a killer market. You can get just about anything from farm fresh produce and plants to bric-a-brac, antiques and collectables. The Heritage Train also leaves from the station at the market, making it a great day out for kids too.
- Cafes & Restaurants – You’ll not be hard up to find a great coffee in Daylesford. The main drag has plenty of great cafes but the Larder is a top pick. Pancho Café is also a great spot further down the hill, with good coffee and amazing food and cakes. There’s also Cliffy’s, a local favourite, on Raglan St which has a huge selection of local produce for sale as well as their breakfast/lunch menu. And don’t forget about the fabulous restaurants in the area such as Alla Wolf-Tasker’s Lake House, Sault Restaurant and Bistro Terrior to name a delicious few. I you are a cheese lover, then The Fromagerie is an absolute must!
- Shopping – Your first stop for shopping should most definitely be Vincent St. There’s plenty of unique shops selling books, antiques, art and clothing. Found, is an antique store which specialises in electric and unique French and Australian pieces, and is well worth a visit. Manteau Noir offers natural-fibre clothing and giftware But if you want to look a little further afield, Hepburn has some great little shops such as Portal 108 which stocks gorgeous gifts, clothing and shoes.
- Art – There’s plenty of cultural experiences to be had in Daylesford. The Convent Gallery is great start. It has been described as the most beautiful gallery in Australia, due to it being situated at the top Wombat Hill Botanical Gardens and with sweeping views of the township below. The gallery presents artworks from local, national and international artists. Bromley & Co is also situated on Vincent St and boasts some fairly epic and unique pieces.
- Wineries – Daylesford offers plenty of wineries to visit such as Sailors Falls Estate, Captain Creek Organic Wines and Passing Clouds. The train now stops at a station specifically built for Passing Clouds, could life get any better?! There’s also Daylesford Cider in Musk which has a selection of multi-award winning craft ciders.